AWM's shared items

Monday, October 05, 2009

The floods of South India!

Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka experience floods in certain areas. My area! This recent news from my place is really disturbing. There is a water everywhere in a place that is almost a desert! How did this happen? Its one thing to have the experience vicariously sitting here in the engineering hall @ Madison and its another to be struggling through the flooded home to save your family and your hard earned money!

The sacred shrine of Sri Raghavendra was completely under water. The water was so fast that it killed some people in the temple! There were many cows (~60 of them) in the goshala which drowned! The head priest had to be rescued by a helicopter from Karnataka (thanks to the Karnataka government for the consideration that the AP counter-part did not have!). Raichur and Kurnool is flooded with over 13ft of water in most places. While some people say they had not seen such rain in over 100 years, media says that such a thing has never occurred in over 10,000 years! Of course it has not! Who expects floods in an arid area like this! Beechpalli bridge is sunk imagine the water in Krishna river for a bridge, that's over 50 ft., to sink! Tungabadra in which i never seen having over 10ft of water when you swam in the river, overflowed into Kurnool submerging it 13ft under water!

Whatever is the case, we as technologists failed because we could not predict it. We as technologists fail to deliver whenever there is a national calamity that comes unwarned to the people. We need a lot of work towards solving this problem of warning about natural calamities!

Its ironic that the central government has to explicitly convey there condolences. When that happens, its usually that they are saying that they are sorry but they don't want to do anything with that. Setting the fund seekers lower their expectations! The state government actually asked for 10,000 crores towards relief fund. How do they come up with those numbers? Why do they want something to be allocated explicitly to them? Why is there no national relief fund from which they can spend as the demands come? Are they so sick that they want to make money even in a case of national disaster? If they are, there is absolutely no difference b/w them and the scum that is looting the houses that are under water.

I really wish i were there to help my people out in this hour of need. I know its hypocritical of me to just wish and not do it when I can really do it, but I am really confused. All I can do is write about it. I know that I can not take a flight, go there and really participate in the rescue missions in my place. I don't mind the travel or the extra semester that I have to do for doing the same, but I really don't have the money to do that! And how do i go and co-ordinate with other people in rescuing people? If some one knows of a way where I can participate in the international rescue missions, let me know.



No comments: